monitor for gaming and working

Hello,

first of all, I want to say that you are doing great job! You have great videos and you helped me a lot before. I bought 3 times Asus PG 279Q, which i think is great monitor, but due to BLB, yellow tint etc i have enough of IPS lottery. Returned all of them.
I want to buy a monitor for:
- mainly gaming (FPS games, some forza, maybe some other casual titles but not so ofthen)
- working (programming, QHD would be great but it's not a must) I do care about sharpness of font. I remember your video abot samsung c27hg70 which has bad sharpness..
- living :D (web, movies)

As i said, IPS is not an option due to lottery... TN and VA are both fine. I would pick VA but I heard that there are some problems with VA and you don't get the max of 144hz (they are slow because of some transmission? not sure)
TN has some banding issues too... Not sure what to pick :)
144hz vs 244 - don't know if it's huge diff, what do you think?
TN vs VA - I would like to know your opinion and what are the pros and cons for gaming and working. I know that Angles are better on VA and colors.
Full hd vs QHD - i think i will go with Full HD, cheaper and easier to maintain in the future, currently owns gtx 1080, what do you think?
Gsync - would be nice but i know it costs a lot and don't know if it's worth it

Was thinking of dell 2716dg, MSI Optix MAG241C Curved, ViewSonic XG2402, AOC C24G1 Curved, Dell Alienware AW2518HF, LG 24GM79G..
What would you recommend?
Last edited by veez on 18 Dec 2018, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.

Re: monitor for gaming and working

Hey mate, sorry for the late response....

First of all, all IPS monitors will have IPS Glow (especially current gaming ones with an AU Optronics Panel - Yellowish/Brownish Glow)

Did you test the Acer XB271HU or the Viewsonic XG2703-GS? All always want to purchase Asus (probably because of its design - I would agree it has the best design, but the worse panel frame construction which causes the most blb/Glow issues)

You probably mean the LG32GK850 and yeah, it has less trailings on 120Hz than 144Hz. For FPS I would pick TN and IPS over VA (personally).

For WORKING, TN/IPS also is better because of the lower contrast. VA has gamma and color shift for example, but better contrast (blacks) - You should consider, that blacks are much better within measurement results, but the VA Glow / Gamma shift (especially in blacks) is not included in measurements, so that I would not say that a VA monitor has 3 times better blacks than an IPS panel. (3000:1 contrast ratio)

FHD vs QHD depending on your hardware and how much FPS you will reach for your games. If you can get +120fps or even +100fps with the QHD monitor, I would go with QHD, otherwise Full HD. While QHD still is better for working and multitasking.

G-Sync is a nice to have, but not a must have I would say. If you have never used G-Sync before, you won't miss it. It makes the gameplay experience smoother (no stutters) and eliminates of course tearings. If you have the money and ur an enthusiast, why not :) Otherwise as mentioned, not a must-have.

Dell S2716DG = good panel coating, horrible color banding, unfortunately. The PG278QR is better in ALL terms except the panel coating. The biggest disadvantage on the PG278QR is the panel coating, while it is pretty bad for web browsing for example (grainy screen on uniform bright colors like whites, greys etc).

If you can deal with its panel coating I would pick the PG278QR, otherwise the Dell (but you should consider its color banding). Personally, I would pick the Viewsonic XG2703-GS or the Acer XB271HU. If you just CANT stand the IPS Glow, the CHG70 also is good with its OWN cons.

If you want 144Hz FHD TN then the Viewsonic XG2401 or the AW2518HF (240Hz)

Hope it helps

Hey, thank you for your answer!

Did you test the Acer XB271HU or the Viewsonic XG2703-GS?
- no I didn't, I just had enough of IPS lottery :/

Hmm I think I will go LG32GK850 or AW2518H + Some QHD second monitor for working, I think second option is better
and cheaper to maintain in the future. I don't see much diff in FHD vs QHD gaming.
Also, I could run some single player on this second QHD ips, or forza, even 60 hz is ok for that.

I think I would get more "immerse" gaming with LG32GK850 but if it's not so good for working and browsing web, playing fps then...
How would you compare VA LG32GK850 vs TN AW2518H(let's say it's 144hz) for gaming FPS, forza and browsing web/writing in some editors. Becauase you say that personally you prefer IPS or TN for those cases. How much is it better?

I think only Viewsonic XG2703-GS is some sweet spot TBH, but lottery... no, i won't try again :( Also QHD is more expensive to maintain for 144hz,
I own 1080 gtx, but just for the future...

I think i pass with samsung, they also have some problems and a lot of defective units :/ And text sharpness is too bad.

Have you tested Dell Alienware AW2518H or Dell Alienware AW2518HF? It's same, just gsync and freesync versions.
It's gonna be ok for working too, i mean the font and sharpness?
Currently I own Dell u2312hm (IPS, 60hz) and font is "ok" for me, just don't want to something worse than that.

For second monitor what do you think of AOC Q3279VWFD8 or some other IPS QHD that you can recommend, 27' would be better,
and not so expensive, to pair it with this alienware.

How would you compare VA LG32GK850 vs TN AW2518H(let's say it's 144hz) for gaming FPS, forza and browsing web/writing in some editors. Becauase you say that personally you prefer IPS or TN for those cases. How much is it better?
I mean that are two very different monitors... The higher the contrast, the more eyestrain you will have in general. The VA will have smearing and more motion blur + better overall colors. TN less motion blur and fewer pop colors (and contrast of course). In the end, it is personal preference, as always. I am not a big fan of VA monitors (for now) because of the VA Glow (while within TVs the VA glow is not that obvious mostly, depending on the DISTANCE to the TV/Panel)
I think only Viewsonic XG2703-GS is some sweet spot TBH, but lottery... no, i won't try again :( Also QHD is more expensive to maintain for 144hz,
I own 1080 gtx, but just for the future...
Well TBH, I also would prefer more HZ compared to the resolution. QHD is really nice and I can see a clear difference. You have to keep also in mind that current 144/165Hz QHD panels also often suffer from sharpness issues (while when setting to 60Hz they mostly offer its full sharpness).
Have you tested Dell Alienware AW2518H or Dell Alienware AW2518HF? It's same, just gsync and freesync versions.
No, but some ppl here in the forums like the Dell Alienware and own this model

I didnt test the Q3279VWFD8 since I am only focusing on high refresh rate panels. So I cannot really recommend yet any 60Hz panels, at least not as long I didnt test them... :P I just know that cheaper Full HD IPS panels have a worse contrast ratio than AU Optronics high refresh rate IPS panels with QHD, but better sharpness (while the sharpness also is a lottery as mentioned)

Thanks for an answer! I would make a choice now but now I am confused... Nvidia annouced those GSync Compatible monitors (Free sync) and... would you recommend something else than monitors mentioned above knowing it is GSync Compatible :D?
Because now i don't know if i should pick something or wait for what will be GSync Compatible? Is there a point of waiting like... awesome monitor but missing GSync?
If i buy a new monitor i would like to have a GSync or GSync Compatible.

Yes, you are right, but we have to wait how well it will work. The Samsung CHG70 is pretty good (with its own disadvantages) the Acer XF270HUA also is a GREAT (in my opinion) better choice than the CHG70, so you can save pretty much money with the Acer / Samsung, and IF Freesync will work well with Nvidia GPUs

Acer XF270HUA is not available at my region, that one would be great :( Samsung C27HG70 is around...560 euro, C32HG70 628 euro and LG32GK850 costs 698 euro. Between 32' samsung and LG diffrence is not that big.
I am curious about AW2518HF if it gets gsync compatible, because this one has gsync variant which is AW2518H.

Also, what do you think about FPS gaming at 32'? I am a bit worry about... to much happening and have to use my head to look at a cornes xd Maybe it's easier to catch what's goin on with 27' than 32'?

Ehh why it isn't simple to choose :/

ok i got it.

Well, I visited my friend and tested his monitor AOC C24G1 Curved (it's cheap monitor) and TBH... sharpness is fine for reading, angles fine, colors good enough compared to IPS dell u2412m which is good enough for me for working with text and...
We have been testing that new option G-Sync compatible with Free sync turned on in monitor vs without it, it's 144 hz and TBH...
We could see diff on limited 50-60 fps etc, there is tearing vs no tearing, but when we were trying to see how G-Sync compatible with free sync helps on 144hz with 141 fps limited then... We couldn't see tearing on both, it was hard to spot, maybe sometimes but you had to focus, that's because of VA motion blur xD For me, tearing on 144hz is hard to spot when you have VA becasue of blur. What do you think?
Are there any VA (LG32GK850 , or samsung?) which has much less motion blur compared to cheap VA or it is normal case for VA and every VA will have same motion blur? While playing overwatch with fast hero and doing "certain" moves then it's not so bad, but if i focused on that blur and try to "shake" with a mouse then i could see a lot of blur.

What do you think?
I didnt test Freesync on Nvidia GPUs yet, since my PC is not connected right now. But the biggest difference you will see when playing on G-Sync / Frssync for several hours and THEN switching back to No-Sync. Not only the tearing is gone but the whole gameplay is smoother (no micro stutters). At least as long as it works that well as on G-Sync or "native" Freesync.
which has much less motion blur compared to cheap VA or it is normal case for VA and every VA will have same motion blur?
No, most VAs will have different motion blur, but I cannot tell you yet how well the motion blur on the AOC is. The difference however might be not that huge.

I will pick TN AW2518H or Dell Alienware AW2518HF :) Don't want that VA motion blur. Just don't know now... because not sure if this gsync compatible will work on AW2518HF? Some people on web say "it's ok". Not sure if it is worth to pay 160 euro more for gsync build-in option. I can play some title on 240 hz, other on 144 etc...
What do you think?

btw, have you seen that?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =706438575

btw, have you seen that?
No, I didnt see that :) But seems interesting.
because not sure if this gsync compatible will work on AW2518HF?
Can't tell you for sure... we need some ppl who have already test it :O G-Sync is worth it if you need ULMB or/and if your framerates are dropping often below 100 fps while Freesync has more ghosting issues on low frame rates.

140 € more... hmm... really hard to tell. ULMB is not worth it for 240Hz panels (while it is capped to 120Hz) and if Freesync works just fine, I would pick the Freesync Version

I think for now it is extremely hard to evaluate how well free sync works with Nvidia GPUs. We do not really know yet if different GPUS (1070,1060,980,2080....) have different results as well as if different units will have different results in terms of flickering issues etc.

However, it seems like AMD cards have a lower input lag than Nvidia when not using Freesync/G-Sync but a very similar result when using an AMD or an Nvidia card with Freesync.

I ordered AW2818HF and GS-2703 :D If Viewsonic will be good, then i will keep it. Dead pixels, backlight bleed in light and dark room, watching movies, yellow tint, uniformity.. Anything else i should check?
If viewsonic will be fine, i will keep it, if not, i will keep AW2818HF and wait for some better "times" ;p For example lg 27GL850G will come out, but we don't know if it will be panel without any issues so.. i don't want to be "Forever" waiting, beacause i already have PC for over 1 year and wasting it with 60 hz on gtx 1080...

I have a question, is this color banding normall for Viewsonic GS-2703? I was watching your GS2703 test and trailer movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTi8-wBnXTI
https://imgur.com/a/txdSAnJ
1st screen is from your review, and second is from trailer.
My settings:
Contrast 50, brightness 50, saturation 100, color temperatura native ( R 100, G 97, B, 97 - settings from your review seemed to be to yellowish for me with white), gamma 2.2, windows sRGB IEC61966-2.1 default
Could you help me please?

edit:
hmm i tried https://u.cubeupload.com/hzLmZE.png and it looks good i think :)
https://imgur.com/a/qSuoJWc

edit2:
maybe a little yellowish on left side compared to right side, but it's really little... not distracting i would say, only visible on whie white pages. Do you have the same?

Hey mate.

Color banding is "normal" for all 144hz gaming monitors, some more some less. Color banding STRONGLY will vary depending on gamma settings (the higher the less visible) as well as Dark Boost (when enabling dark boost = more banding).

Keep in mind. On YouTube Videos color banding is also MUCH more visible than in games (compressing).