What monitor reviews do you wish?

Hi Guys,

just for a quick overview for active users :) If you have any other ideas or suggestions, just let me know!

While i can't create a poll with more than 5 options, heres a small list.
VA 144 Hz Full HD 27" Monitors (16:9)
WQHD IPS 27" Monitors (16:9)
WQHD TN 27" Monitors (16:9)
Ultrawide WQHD VA Panel (100+Hz)
Ultrawide WQHD IPS (100+Hz)
Ultrawide Full-HD (144+ Hz)
Full HD TN 24" / 27" Monitors (144 Hz)
Full HD TN 24" / 27" Monitors (240 Hz)
4K 27" Monitors with G-Sync
4K 27" Monitors with Freesync
4K 32" Monitors with G-Sync
4K 32" Monitors with Freesync

Re: What monitor reviews do you wish?

Hello!
First i want to say.. great work man! I watch you reviews and they are very informative and detailed.
Now i really want to see you review about AOC AG271QG with AHVA similar to viewsonic and others from what i hear but cost less.
I think it will be interesting to see if it's really worth to pay more if you can have the same for less hmm? :)

I would like to see reviews for affordable 60/72/75hz 1440p monitors with Freesync support.

Every AMD card in the 290- and 390- series as well as the RX470/570 and RX480/580 and the Fury line, are well suited for monitors like this, performance -wise. This option is by far the best value if you want real estate and good image quality (not TN) for general use, and you don't mind regular refresh rates, but hate tearing and V-Sync lag.

Sadly this monitor segment is sorely neglected, with monitor companies usually only putting Freesync in the 1080p 60hz/144hz and 1440p 144hz models. 1440p at regular refresh has traditionally been marketed towards professional use, and I guess companies have not yet realised the fact that including Freesync support would be advantageous to many without costing them much.

Meaningful reviews using calibration tools are almost non-existant for the few models that do exist. We need more reviews - and unlike the latest and greatest G-Sync ultrawide, I doubt the regular monitor review sites will cover them.

Here's a list of some:

HP Omen 32
HP Pavilion 32
Samsung S24H850
Samsung S27H850
Samsung C27H711
Iiyama X2788QS-B1 / XB2788QS-B1 (same monitor, different stands)
Iiyama XUB2792QSU-B1

Hey, dude and thanks for your reply. Your right, in general, it's really not a bad idea to get a 60-75Hz monitor for AMD graphics card (RR 400/500 series).

Your mentioned Iiyamas seems pretty interesting. I would wish to review all monitors, honestly, but with a full-time job, it's not possible :( (I'm working in an online marketing agency) Especially the Iiyama X2788QS-B1 / XB2788QS-B1 have a real interesting price point (in Germany only 290€) while the XUB2792QSU, for example, cost only 100$ less compared to the Acer XF270HUA

My plan was it to review all "popular" 144 Hz monitors and after that focus also on 4k (60/75) Hz and your mentioned IPS WQHD Freesync monitors.

My top 3 most important features in a "GAMING" monitor

1. 144 Hz (over all)
2. NO glow (IPS / VA glow)
3. Resolution
4. Colors
5. adaptive sync (while using 144 Hz it's not that important to have Freesync / G-Sync - in addition, I prefer it to use backlight scanning)

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, and I will keep this in mind and take a closer look into the Iiyamas. For the omens, there are pretty many reviews out there, aren't they?

Cheers, have to go sleep soon, I'm totally tired of work :roll:

The X2788QS-B1 / XB2788QS-B1 is also what I'm the most interested in seeing a review for, it's priced around 300€ here in Denmark as well.
The Freesync refresh rate ranges look weird in the manual ( https://i.imgur.com/OOT8IVg.jpg) - if you do review this one, and it turns out that the Freesync on is actually only 60hz and off 75hz (the opposite of most lower refresh rate Freesync monitors, could just be a typo), will you check if the range can be expanded with CRU?

With my PC being used for media and work as well as games, my lower budget, and my favoring slower games and singleplayer over competitive twitch shooting, I would personally choose a good 75hz 1440p IPS/VA monitor over a good 144hz 1080p TN or even a CFG70. This coming from a guy with a FW900 who's trying out the C27FG70 currently. As long as input lag and response times are decent, and tearing/smoothness can be addressed with adaptive sync, image quality and resolution are more important to me than high refresh rate (if I can't afford both).

At lower refresh rates the adaptive sync becomes a much higher priority. My nr. 1 gripe with Nvidia is their refusal to release affordable lower refresh rate G-Sync products or allow basic Vesa adaptive sync support. Tearing and smoothness just aren't that big of a deal at 144+hz (ULMB becomes more attractive as you say), but they seem content selling us 800$ 144hz monitors and basically leaving anyone with a sensible budget and midrange graphics card stuck using V-Sync or at least buying a smaller TN. Hopefully Apple beginning to use adaptive sync in their stuff and AMD Vega + Raven Ridge expanding the Freesync domain will convince Nvidia that they need to at least allow for Vesa adaptive sync support up to 75hz or something.

There are some reviews of the Omen 32, but only Prad did a proper one as far as I know. Weird monitor, has input lag if you don't use Freesync reportedly, as well as some other quirks and weird design decisions.

Hey dude

Yeah the Iiama XB2788QS-B1 probably has a Freesync range of 55-75, but maybe Its adjustable with CRU (Custom resolution utility)

At lower refresh rates the adaptive sync becomes a much higher priority.

Yes that's true, but even on 100 or 120 Hz you can see a difference (depending on the game)

.....and basically leaving anyone with a sensible budget and midrange graphics card stuck using V-Sync or at least buying a smaller TN.

Well, with these strange price tags within the RX500 series (because of data mining) you also can get a 1060 or even 1070 when finding a deal. I'm really not a fan of the G-Sync tax, but AMD also has some struggle for now :(

I think the mentioned Iiyamas could be a good option for AMD graphics card users, I'm not sure for now how to handle "this" because the monitor gaming list on limscave,de (soon limscave.com) only has high refresh rate monitors, and when adding 60 Hz panels, I lose my focus.

This coming from a guy with a FW900 who's trying out the C27FG70 currently.
So you prefer IPS 75 Hz WQHD over Full HD VA/TN 144 Hz? Even for games like Witcher etc.? I could never go back to 60 or 75 Hz, no matter what happens... ;D What you don't like about the CFG70?

lim wrote:
11 Sep 2017, 19:00
Well, with these strange price tags within the RX500 series (because of data mining) you also can get a 1060 or even 1070 when finding a deal. I'm really not a fan of the G-Sync tax, but AMD also has some struggle for now :(
Miners and AMD's less than great Radeon marketing team have not made it easy for regular customers wanting Freesync. There should be plenty of people already with 290/390/4xx/5xx/Fury cards wanting to upgrade their monitor though. It's a mess right now, but hopefully the Vega architecture will mature more in the next half year, with better supplies and factory undervolted AIB cards, so Nvidia will not be allowed to rest on their laurels like Intel has since Sandy Bridge.
I think the mentioned Iiyamas could be a good option for AMD graphics card users, I'm not sure for now how to handle "this" because the monitor gaming list on limscave,de (soon limscave.com) only has high refresh rate monitors, and when adding 60 Hz panels, I lose my focus.
You should definitely complete your 144hz showdown series first.
If you want some more gaming related suggestions, I think you should test a 240hz monitor or two to see if you get your money's worth with such expensive 1080p TNs, considering that 144hz strobing reportedly offers better motion performance than regular 240hz and that these monitors only strobe at 144hz like any regular 144hz anyway.
If you branch out to do a series of reviews of affordable 60/75hz monitors at some point, including the Iiyama hopefully, a review of the LG 24MP59G would also be interesting. It has single strobed 75hz, which you could compare to the unstrobed 75hz, and higher strobed/regular refresh rates.

Lastly if you want to expand on the 144hz 1080p series, the average Joe could really use PSA / warning about the VG248QE and especially the GN246HL vs. what is available now.
I really like that you are reviewing and comparing a bunch of recent and brand new 144hz 1080p TNs, and for the informed user it is implied that these are the best picks in 2017. But these two outdated, PWM ridden, modern-feature-lacking monitors with questionable image quality and overdrive are still the most sold 144hz monitors because average Joe just goes with what's popular on Amazon, on forums and amongst their friends, and Asus and Acer keep selling them with no new iterations because they can get away with it. Others, like the Benq XL2411, is also older, but at least that one is flicker free and has strobing.
With your channel's focus on 144hz monitors, and with a series covering similar modern products at that, you are an authority on the subject that could help steer people away from always buying and recommending these old monitors.
So you prefer IPS 75 Hz WQHD over Full HD VA/TN 144 Hz? Even for games like Witcher etc.? I could never go back to 60 or 75 Hz, no matter what happens... ;D What you don't like about the CFG70?
I am really impressed by Samsung's new 144hz VA panels, their choice to include strobing, and the quality of the monitor and it's OSD and customizable mode buttons in general. I run it in SRGB mode with the Black Equalizer turned off, and with the factory calibration it's a very enjoyable monitor on the whole. I also like the curve. The C24FG70 is amazingly priced for what you get (got the 27" in a sale, with a 45 day return period).
However, I was coming from a very high end CRT, and had also tried out the Phiilips BDM3270QP2 with tighter PPI, semi-glossy coating and just amazing image quality (Tomshardware praised it to the skies in their review - I wish this one had Freesync), so I was already spoiled in both the motion performance and image quality departments.
I'm also having a slightly harder time adjusting to the lower res and PPI of 27" 1080p than I thought, and the weird subpixel layout almost makes it look like it has scanlines. Maybe I would like the 24" more.

Frankly the 31.5" 1440p 144hz VA panel would be my prefered compromise. I was tempted to splurge on the AG322QCX after PCmonitors.info reviewed it, but after waiting a bit it got slightly more expensive, and JackY on the overclock.net forum wrote a small novel about the problems he had with it. The C32HG70 turned out to be way out of my price range. Where's the damn 328M6FJRMB, Philips?! :)
The 32" HPs would be a good cheaper alternative in theory, but I don't like the input lag quirks and weird OSD shenanigans, and the Omen is nearly 480€ here for some reason. Very very far from the 300$ americans can frequently pick them up for.

If you want some more gaming related suggestions, I think you should test a 240hz monitor...
I've already tested a 240 Hz monitor but I was a bit disappointed. The Benq XL2540 / and 2546 can strobe at 180 Hz :)

a review of the LG 24MP59G would also be interesting. It has single strobed 75hz, which you could compare to the unstrobed 75hz, and higher strobed/regular refresh rates.
This is really interesting, didn't know that the LG can single strobe at 75Hz. Can the LG also single strobe at 60 HZ? :P

astly if you want to expand on the 144hz 1080p series, the average Joe could really use PSA / warning about the VG248QE and especially the GN246HL vs. what is available now.
Well I have the Asus asus vg278he and the monitor is pretty bat (but already also around 3-4 years old)
with what's popular on Amazon
Yes exactly. This is really a huge issue currently. You mentioned "new" models are pretty bad compared to the Viewsonic XG2401 for example. The problem also is, without a 1:1 comparison (or seeing a better model) customers are satisfied with these models. I'm currently working on a new tool for monitor ratings, and I hope enough people (with experience) will vote to get a better "ranking" for these monitors, even for the average customers... Your mentioned Benq XL2411 also has a bad image quality compared to newer Full HD 144 Hz TN panels, even the Benq has strobing, the lg24gm79 is a much better choice.

So maybe the new upcoming LG 32GK850G (32" G-Sync Monitor with 165Hz, IPS Panel with 4ms response time, WQHD (2560x1440)) but we don't know the price yet. The AOC is really not bad at all, and so the Samsung. But both have its own issues. With your mentioned problem on the CFG70, you wouldn't be happy with CHG70 and the AOC, while both have also your mentioned subpixel issue. So we will see, I think in the next time there will be released some really interesting models :) viewtopic.php?f=15&t=113

Is there any review to be uploaded in the upcoming days? I am really impressed by the small time gap between your uploads. You upload almost every 2 weeks and very long videos that seem to require much time to edit.
I'm planning to upload 1 video a week but since I'm working full time (as an online marketing manager) This seems like it's impossible. I will try to upload a review every 10-14 days (probably). This week I'm focusing on the new page with a new voting/ranking system and translating all reviews into English. The monitor ranking and login tool are pretty exhausting, it really steals me a LOT of time. Never thought this would be so much work, honestly... :oops:

I also wrote a "help guide" for specific rating points like "what is?" homogeneity, ips glow, clouding, backlight bleed etc, and I will try to produce videos for each of these topics (in the voting/ranking guide) https://www.facebook.com/LimsCave/photo ... =3&theater

When the page and its new tools (Ranking, buying guide etc) is programmed/designed I will be also able to focus more on video content. But I think these tools also are pretty important and they really can help within buying decision. The next Video probably on Monday-Thursday next week, because like mentioned, focus is currently on the page and community - to create a "basis" :) There are soooo many ideas I have, dammit, don't know when to create all this content ;D

lim wrote:
13 Sep 2017, 20:34
Is there any review to be uploaded in the upcoming days? I am really impressed by the small time gap between your uploads. You upload almost every 2 weeks and very long videos that seem to require much time to edit.
I'm planning to upload 1 video a week but since I'm working full time (as an online marketing manager) This seems like it's impossible. I will try to upload a review every 10-14 days (probably). This week I'm focusing on the new page with a new voting/ranking system and translating all reviews into English. The monitor ranking and login tool are pretty exhausting, it really steals me a LOT of time. Never thought this would be so much work, honestly... :oops:

I also wrote a "help guide" for specific rating points like "what is?" homogeneity, ips glow, clouding, backlight bleed etc, and I will try to produce videos for each of these topics (in the voting/ranking guide) https://www.facebook.com/LimsCave/photo ... =3&theater

When the page and its new tools (Ranking, buying guide etc) is programmed/designed I will be also able to focus more on video content. But I think these tools also are pretty important and they really can help within buying decision. The next Video probably on Monday-Thursday next week, because like mentioned, focus is currently on the page and community - to create a "basis" :) There are soooo many ideas I have, dammit, don't know when to create all this content ;D
That's pretty amazing. Can't wait to see implemented into the site :)

Hi Lim,

danke für das brilliante Review zu XF270HUA. Dank dir ist das Warten auf die XG32VQ und Nixeus EDG 27 nun weniger erträglich geworden und ich habe mich fast entschlossen den Acer zu kaufen.
Ich habe bis jetzt XG32VQ, Nixeus EDG 27 oder den Acer XF270HUA als Monitor-Upgrade im Sinn.
Was ist dein Ratschlag? Soll ich noch auf die beiden warten oder mir einfach jetzt den XF270HUA kaufen. BTW für mich ist Tearing freies Gameplay einer der wichtigsten Monitor Features abseits der Qualität des Bildes. Hast du schon Erfahrungen mit LFC und hat es bei dem XF270HUA einwandfrei funktioniert?
Ich spiele zur Zeit sehr gerne GW2 und da geht es gerne auf die 30 FPS oder weniger in Massenschlachten zu, was unterhalb von den meisten Monitoren ist.
Ich freue mich auf deine weiteren Videos.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Roman

For english readers

thank you for the brilliant review of the XF270HUA. Thanks to you, the wait now for the XG32VQ and Nixeus EDG 27 has become less tolerable and I have almost decided to buy the Acer.
I have so far XG32VQ, Nixeus EDG 27 or the Acer XF270HUA as monitor upgrade in mind.
What is your advice? Should I still wait for the two monitors or should I just buy the XF270HUA now. BTW tearing free gameplay is one of the most important monitor features for me, but the picture quality is equally important or more. Do you have experience with LFC and did it work with the XF270HUA perfectly?
I am currently really enjoying playing GW2 and in mass battles I get 30 fps or less, which is outside the freesync range of most monitors.
I look forward to your further videos.

Best regards

Roman

I just ordered Acer XF270HUA and I expect it to arrive at the end of this week or at worst Monday or Tuesday. I can write about my own experience with the monitor but don't take this as granted and you should trust Lim more :P. But I think it would be a good to know how it performs about ips glow and backlight bleed, if It has dead pixels etc.

I could also wait for the XG32VQ which seems a very interesting model, but I think I would prefer to stick with 27" for the better ppi. And I also believe that it will be much more expensive because of the bigger size and the motion blur reduction technology it comes with. (usually all Asus gaming products are somehow overpriced).

PS.: I currently have an typical LG 23 " 1080p 60hz monitor of 2012. (specific model is LG IPS235V).

But I think it would be a good to know how it performs about IPS glow and backlight bleed, if It has dead pixels etc.
Yes of course and soon you can vote on the new page (IPS Glow, Backlight Bleed behaviour, etc.) which I would appreciate :)
I could also wait for the XG32VQ which seems a very interesting model, but I think I would prefer to stick with 27" for the better ppi. And I also believe that it will be much more expensive because of the bigger size and the motion blur reduction technology it comes with. (usually all Asus gaming products are somehow overpriced).
Yep, I also really like 27". I'm really curious about the price, but I don't expect a low price within the XG32VQ, especially in Germany (while the new Asus Full HD VA 144 Hz cost 480 Euros here and in the US 360 $....)
PS.: I currently have an typical LG 23 " 1080p 60hz monitor of 2012. (specific model is LG IPS235V).
The LG does not seem to be that bad - You also could share your experience within image quality against the Acer XF270HUA, this can help for sure a lot of other people

Thank you naruto14,
can you test LFC and tell me about the quality of your unit?
I think you could be right about the price of the XG32VQ
Is better ppi important? My 24" 1080p would have the same ppi as the XG32VQ.

other suggestions:
XG258Q for Full HD TN 24" / 27" Monitors (240 Hz)

XG35VQ for Ultrawide WQHD VA Panel (100+Hz)

My LG is pretty decent if you consider that I bought it 5 years ago at 150 euros. It may lack in things like ergonomic adjustability, but it got an amazing color reproduction and I was pretty happy until now. I decided to upgrade though to a bigger, with higher resolution and refresh rate.

I will post about a small comparison just to let you guys know. Lim, do we have any date about when the voting system is going to be available?

@Roman, I don't have an AMD graphics card right now so I can't test freesync. However i am going to upgrade my gtx 970 to vega 56 when the pricing becomes better. But I have no doubt that the LFC on the Acer will work well. It also has a very good range. It is a perfect freesync monitor.

The reason I think big ppi is important is because the clarity on desktop is so amazing. Everything looks crisper. And also you have a bit less need for AA in games. A 32" 1440p would look about the same with your current monitor.

The XG35VQ is going to be expensive as hell, pretty sure more expensive than the XG32VQ. Higher than 800 euros I suppose. Also I wouldn't go for 240Hz unless I was a professional cs go player or something. This high framerate is very difficult to achieve and you probably would get bottlenecked by your cpu faster than your gpu (if you have something like a 1080ti).
Last edited by naruto14 on 19 Sep 2017, 22:06, edited 2 times in total.

Hi Lim,

danke für das brilliante Review zu XF270HUA. Dank dir ist das Warten auf die XG32VQ und Nixeus EDG 27 nun weniger erträglich geworden und ich habe mich fast entschlossen den Acer zu kaufen.
Ich habe bis jetzt XG32VQ, Nixeus EDG 27 oder den Acer XF270HUA als Monitor-Upgrade im Sinn.
Was ist dein Ratschlag? Soll ich noch auf die beiden warten oder mir einfach jetzt den XF270HUA kaufen. BTW für mich ist Tearing freies Gameplay einer der wichtigsten Monitor Features abseits der Qualität des Bildes. Hast du schon
Irgendwie hatte ich das übersehen. Tearing freies Gaming kann man mit dem neuem Asus noch nicht garantieren, da es keine Tests gibt.
Ich spiele zur Zeit sehr gerne GW2 und da geht es gerne auf die 30 FPS oder weniger in Massenschlachten zu, was unterhalb von den meisten Monitoren ist.
Also das einzige Game was ich drauf habe wo ich unter 40 fps droppe (ca 20-30) ist Players Unknown Battlegrounds und ich konnte kein Tearing feststellen. Das komische ist aber: Auch wenn ich Freesync aus mache fällt kein tearing auf. Vielleicht läuft LFC unabhängig von AMDs Freesync
can you test LFC and tell me about the quality of your unit?
So, the only game I have where I drop under 40 fps (about 20-30) is unknown players battlefields and I couldn't notice any tearing. However, there is a "strange" thing: Freesync ON/OFF makes no difference. Maybe LFC works without using /enable AMD's Freesync

other suggestions:
XG258Q for Full HD TN 24" / 27" Monitors (240 Hz)

XG35VQ for Ultrawide WQHD VA Panel (100+Hz)
Hard to say if these monitors will be "good" while we don't know if they will have some major issues

I will post about a small comparison just to let you guys know. Lim, do we have any date about when the voting system is going to be available?
This week for sure. But cannot say which day