Hello!

There are so few here! I mean, given the quality of your reviews, it surprises me that no one is around asking questions by the thousands lol

I was also on the road for a new monitor, it was a long journey, but hopefully it will arrive this monday. It's a Samsung C27FG70.

Could you give me any fast advice on how to calibrate it properly?

Cheers!

Re: Hello!

gonzalo.nuin wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 21:56
There are so few here! I mean, given the quality of your reviews, it surprises me that no one is around asking questions by the thousands lol

I was also on the road for a new monitor, it was a long journey, but hopefully it will arrive this monday. It's a Samsung C27FG70.

Could you give me any fast advice on how to calibrate it properly?

Cheers!
Hey man thanks :), the first user topic, nice :P Well the CFG70 has three gamma settings, which doens't differentiate that much from each other. Just set your favorite color temperature, because this is really personal taste, there is no optimum. The one and only thing you can do without hardware calibration is to lower the gamma in your graphics card setting with some test screens like or tools like this (sorry coudln't find in English): https://www.eizo.de/monitortest/ -> Choose only gamma and click on "test starten"

Explanation: Change the grayscale of the logo using the slider until the logo fuses with the background as much as possible. The displayed value corresponds to the gamma value of your monitor. So you set that Gamma value in the tool which you aim for and change gamma settings in the monitor OSD. If they don't "hit" your desired gamma value then you have to change within your graphics card settings. I hope this will help

Consider: https://limscave.com/viewtopic.php?f=15 ... =cfg70#p70

And the Samsung CFG73 will be rleased probably in max. 4 weeks (with purple artifact fix and a new stand)

Thanks for the info! although now I'm feeling a bit unease due to that thing of the purple artifact (I was hoping to have it already fixed). At least Samsung looks committed to repair the faulty monitors.

The only grip I could have with the monitor (among the wait lol) you posted is that it comes in 24 inches size, while I'm still wanting it in 27'. Just like this one, looking awesome: C32hg70.

In my case I was first looking to the three (AOC, ASUS and Acer) IPS Gsync main powerhorses, but the price was too high and the IPS lottery too demanding, so I took a look to the TN variant, which is where I discovered your videos and hence the very same Samsung that should be arriving soon here (hopefully tomorrow). The thing is even the TN variants of the mendtioned powerhorses were also pretty expensive (due to the NVidia Chip, I guess) so it was a thing of waiting for the right 'momento'.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't wait because suddenly that samsung looked so nice, and even without GSync (they say Fast Sync, as not as effective, does also a very good work combined with 144Hz, is that true? tell me it is XD), HD resolution meant a longer life and better performance for my 1070 than a 1440 resolution monitor. The color quality was comepting with the IPS panels due to the quantum dot color techonology adding the naturally good contrast of the VA panels, and, finally, a much lesser price for it. It looked so balanced I couldn't resist it.

And I didn't, which took me here.

I hope to receive the monitor soon and enjoy it to the point I won't be able to stop saying thank you for it.

My best regards.

Hey,

yeah of course your right, they are very expensive. G-Sync also pushes the price. But maybe the Dell S2417DG is also that cheap in the us? Its the S2716DG variant in 24 Inch with 165Hz overclock. Here it cost "only" 370€. Freesync should work but the range of the samsung I think is sometihing between 62 (or 72) to 144. For Full HD I think this is okay. And if you use an RX570 for example you just have to set the graphics settings lower in games like GTA5 or Witcher 3. But like always mentioned, I prefer high fps over graphics resolution. And since you use a 1070, you still should get good FPS with +100 (better more like 120+) then you will not need adaptive sync while at this framerate the tearing is not that noticeable + you can use samsungs backlight scanninc, which is pretty good.

I dont have Experience with Freesync yet, cause I don't own an AMD graphics card. But I woll order in several days so I can test Freesync in each monitor in future. I think I also still prefer Full HD, since I prefer +120 FPS, even with lower graphics settings. 4K atm is senseless for me. WQHD is good, but you need a 1080 (ti), and even with the ti you have to set the graphics settings lower to reach 120+ fps.

If your CFG70 will have problems with purple artifact. In germany they fix it for free, in the US for shure too, but I dont know how they deal with customers in other regions.

I hope you will like the samsung as same as I do, just the purple thing is really something which bothers (and of course the typical va glow, but on the omen it was much more noticeable for example and the va grey to black response time). Bzw the CFG73 also will be released in 27 Inch, but I don't know the release date. The Agon AG322QCX also is interesting: 31.5 Inch, WQHD, 144 Hz, VA, Freesync, price tag: 580€ in EU. But again, needs tons of graphics power to profit from thesehigh refresh rates

I'm curious about your experiences with the samsung, let me know :)

Hello there!

The monitor came just yesterday and it gave me a bad scare while playing Ark Survival Evolved. The blame was on this game and its damn motion blur. I was so mad thinking about ghosting, bad Hz configurations and what not that I almost felt the seven tribulations of St. Iguelda lol. But it was just that damn feature. I tested the game without it and everything was fine and dandy. I also tested Doom to check for artifacts in those dark areas and everything went ok. No artifacts for the moment.

The screen looks good! Only a very very slight clouding on the right side, and yes, in the upper border, like 4mm width, theres some lighter zone, almost unappreciable though.

There is also this:

Look at the slightly clearer horizontal zone left to the cursor. It's not as bad as your review and barely noticeable, but still there. The panel is not from the last revision >_<.

But let me go back to the first feelings: The colors felt awesome! I was coming from a Samsung 22' 1680*1050 226BW so the improvement was dramatical :D, but also... ah, the bright. The bright! that thinh almost killed me! So bright I had to tune it down to 15 (for some reason, ifchanging response time the monitor will block its slider). Now looks good, good indeed and without killing my eyes, although I feel it could be better, but I find myself almost unable to understand in depth all those options :(. Halp! XD

Now, I have myself some questions:
  • Whats that you talk about samsung backlight scanning? haven't seen anything like that.
  • What is black equalizer? how do I take the most of it?
  • Which configuration of Sync would you suggest me to use? Vsync in games? Some mode in NVidia control panel like Fast Sync? This is a 1070 running on windows 10 with an I7 2600k.
  • Is there anything in the CD that comes along the monitor worth mentioning?
  • Why is the arena lighting so utterly useless if not using a sound system the monitor does not have?

Any advice about what should I definitely be doing next? Apart from reading you very carefully and with lots of devotion, of course!

Cheers!

Psd.: If you need anything else from me, pics or whatever, feel free to ask.

Hey man :)
Whats that you talk about samsung backlight scanning? haven't seen anything like that.

Its the option "faster and fastest, then your monitor goes darker and your motion blur is eliminated, with the disatvantage of some ghosting / crosstalk

What is black equalizer? how do I take the most of it?

Black equalizer just brightens dark area in games. Mostly only "good" for shooters, to see enemys better - but it makes your general image quality worse in general

Which configuration of Sync would you suggest me to use? Vsync in games? Some mode in NVidia control panel like Fast Sync? This is a 1070 running on windows 10 with an I7 2600k.

Turn off v-sync in games and at your grpahics card option. v-sync adds input lag and while you have an 1070 on full hd you should reach enought fps without suffering under tearing. you cannot use freesync with your nvidia cards. If you like, you can use backlight strobing

Is there anything in the CD that comes along the monitor worth mentioning?
no :)

Why is the arena lighting so utterly useless if not using a sound system the monitor does not have?
yeah its pretty useless, It only works if you use your headphones throught the headphone output. + you can only let the light pulse and interact with your games. So if you have an dac for example, its just useless. I think with headphones it should work? But still, I dont like this effect

1. You can try 120 Hz with "Fastest", some people say the image is clearer than on 144 Hz
2. these vertical (and sometimes horizontal) strips are for the samsung typical. Some has less some more strips. My 27 Inch version had a pretty bad illumination where I could see this "strips" in contrast weaker content - mostly on movies. If the amount of "strips" is the same as on your photo, then I think its ok. But on these intense colors you will not see them that much.
On these images you should see this "strips" much better:
https://limscave.de/media/forumzeug/1.jpg
https://limscave.de/media/forumzeug/2.jpg
https://limscave.de/media/forumzeug/3.jpg
https://limscave.de/media/forumzeug/4.jpg

If this "strips" does not bothers you while playing or in normal content, it should be ok

3. the "problem" with the brightness is probably because your monitor should be pretty old and they "loose" brightness after some years - so probably your just used to it.
4. try cs go (if you have this game) to check purple artifact issue, esecially on dust 2 or migage
5. set 144 / 120 hz within nvidia control panel

If you have any further questions.. just ask :P

Bad things happened!

As I played CS GO in the two maps you mentioned, I discovered that no artifacts showed up, BUT, there was something fishy going on.

Check it out:

Remember how we talked about those brighter strips? I detected them in the mirage map, they where easy to see when moving, like a window inside another window inside another window. (Green lines have been obviously added later lol)

But now I think I know whats going on. See this from the steam window:

Or even worst:

That, my friend, is the image of color banding, not very clear nor easy to see due to the bad quality photo, but it's clearly there, and it's clearly bad.

So... no artifacts, but the best of the past decade in bands >_<

I'm not sure if I can live up with this issue so maybe I should return the monitor :(

Any last minute advice?

1. Within color banding you can try this

Nvidia control panel > Resolution -> RGB set to limited (then colors are grey & milky)
then put digital color vibrance a bit "higher"

So I think VA panels have some serious issues within color banding. I started to take a closer look into it after some people mentioned that the Dell s2716dg has issues with this. The omen x35 for example also has thes issues, mostly on compressed image content. I wil have a cfg73 soon so I can also start to find solutions etc. Maybe also it helps to change the gamma? Does it also occur if you have gamma on standard @ nvidia drivers?

Do you also have banding problems in this video intro?

1. With banding (dell): https://limscave.de/media/limscave/norm ... anding.jpg
2. No color banding (some ips panel type): https://limscave.de/media/limscave/norm ... nding2.jpg

2. Considering these "strips". We talk about "shadows" which dont move with the image, right? This is a problem witht the illumination (edge led + curved, where curved just add more problems with it)

lim wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 16:09
1. Within color banding you can try this

Nvidia control panel > Resolution -> RGB set to limited (then colors are grey & milky)
then put digital color vibrance a bit "higher"

So I think VA panels have some serious issues within color banding. I started to take a closer look into it after some people mentioned that the Dell s2716dg has issues with this. The omen x35 for example also has thes issues, mostly on compressed image content. I wil have a cfg73 soon so I can also start to find solutions etc. Maybe also it helps to change the gamma? Does it also occur if you have gamma on standard @ nvidia drivers?
Yep, I have just tried everything to no avail. The banding is still there, less noticeable sometimes, but still there.
lim wrote:
07 Jun 2017, 16:09

Do you also have banding problems in this video intro?

1. With banding (dell): https://limscave.de/media/limscave/norm ... anding.jpg
2. No color banding (some ips panel type): https://limscave.de/media/limscave/norm ... nding2.jpg

2. Considering these "strips". We talk about "shadows" which dont move with the image, right? This is a problem witht the illumination (edge led + curved, where curved just add more problems with it)
I'm sorry, but I can't find the video to compare my results with the ones you linked.

Well, it actually looks good, pretty far from the Dell example you posted.

Here you go (its in eye safe mode, although similar in normal mode):
Seems that in some cases it's bad while other cases it remains barely noticeable. A deal breaker? maybe... what would you say (*)? Let me tell you first I already ordered this one for 503€:

https://www.amazon.de/LG-34UC79G-B-21-U ... +34UC79G-B

The vertical resolution is the same as now, which doesn't bother me, and for that price, I believe an ultra wide IPS panel can become heaven for certain games and uses. Bad thing is the bigger the monitor, the bigger the chance to get bad bleeding and/or glow. Lets cross fingers and hope for the best.

*: In the very, very worst case, I could stick with the samsung and that curious color banding that doesn't seem to be that bad after all. Or at least does not seem to be present everywhere (it's not).

Take care, and a wholehearted thank you for all you do for all of us.

See you pronto!

Hey man, thanks for your photo :)

How much did you payed for the Samsung? Its 24 Inch right?

Yeah I think the LG could be good (but the blur reduction aka backlight strobing is worde on the LG). For me 1080p like i always mention is absolutely good. WQHD is luxus, especially with high FPS. So I think the "colorbanding" is just something you can see on the VA better ALSO BECAUSE you have a much better contrast then on TN panels for example. So with a better differentiation behind dark backgrounds it sounds also logical to me that you can notice this on the samsung much better. But I talso think this still is a problem from the 6 Bit + FRC in Full HD Monitors. I could live with it, when it's ony noticeable in special game scenes. The VA "glow" is something what disturbs much more in my eyes (its the iris im talked about in the PG279QR and CFG70 comparison).

+ It's every the same "situation": Each monitor has its own disadvantages and each reacts differently to these.

I think the illumination of the LG is pretty ok, while you will have som "yellowish" ips glow in the corners. Still much better then on the PG348Q for example, from which I saw in different forums.

IF your LG will arrive, you can let me know how you like the LG in direct comparison :) would be awesome.

Thanks dude and good luck with BLB / Glow :)

I will gladly do so!

So, after a couple of days of gaming and wtaching stuff while trying to get a grasp on the configuration stuff (still on it, I read this LG has a tight learning curve, and I agree), it's time to put you up to date,

But first, the samsung was 27' and the price was 459. I could have bought it on UK for 380€ (delivery included) a couple of days later, which I did with the purpose of returning one of them and keeping the other saving some money on the proccess. Fortunately -or unfortunately, for as you said each monitor reacts differently- I had those banding problems we talked about and cancelled the monitor purchase on UK as started looking for a new one. This one.

The first thing I was worried about being an IPS was dead pixels, backbleeding light and IPS glow, in that order. Luckily I believe I received a good one, but I would like to have your opinion:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/rB-mc0XUFXs[/youtube]

That's my monitor showing a pure black image with a bright and contrast in the middle, aproximately. Yeah, you can't see a damn thing because I'm not used to record these kind of things lol, but... if you see only blackness is a good thing, right? ;D. Anywaay in the video looks a little tiny bit better, but just a little!

Furthermore, I guess you were right again -you're very prone to do that- and guess I was used to my poor TN panel brightness after the years, for this one also is somewhat agressive on my eyes, but some calibration and toying with the different modes do a good job for that depending on what am I willing to do.

The colors are just beautiful and sometimes I just estay a shile looking the landscape in games like Ark. Wouldn't know which monitor looks better between the samsung and LG in games, but in movies this one, the LG, goes ahead. I don't recall enjoying that definition watching Game of Thrones in the Samsung, neither did the colors and (¡!) contrast look so good. I would like though, to say that my opinion is flawed and to be taken with a pinch of common sense. I want to like this monitor, obviosly XD. But trust me, it looks good.

But there's something which makes it fall behind the samsung. The definition of the letters, especially in windows menus, looks a little worst on the LG.

Ad the color bading, which finally doesnt seem to be not such a thing, can also be seen on steam menus on this panel, which being IPS makes me think it's going to be the same or similar in the other cases. (color banding tests with Lagom or Eizo look good).

Oh, and there's a cherry on top of the cake!! panel is revision B (february 2017) and the monitor adds a copy of Ghost Recon Wild Lands for free. Yay!

! sounds pretty good your experience with the LG. BLB / Glow, at least on the video, looks very good. That what makes the screen look like "art" is typical IPS cause of the viewing angles. I also really love this in IPS panels. Thats interesting with the letter sharpness, I thought the LG will be better within text reading. I meant each person reacts differently :) Of course we also have deviations in processing of monitors. The Price for the LG makes the LG to a great deal in my opinion, even it's "only" Ultrawide-FullHD.

So... I think your actually found your monitor right ? :) happy fragging then... :) Thanks for sharing your experiences with the LG, sounds really interesting

Mirros and smoke! All of it just was mirrors and smoke!

Now, in a more serious note, let me upgrade the info I already gave to you.

Watching some episodes of Game of Thrones I could not but see some serious glow and bleed when in cinema mode (that is with the bright pumped to the max and the contrast to 70) which, frankly made me suffer a little. Dind't I record a video with some excellent results? Yes I did, but with the brightness all cranked down to leves like 20. So... yeah, it was a little bit like cheating.

Nonetheless luck came into my aid when out of curiosity I discovered that the same monitor was available for 495 euros with free delivery, so buying it, in the worst case would net me some money, and in the best of them, it would net me that money and even a new, better display!

Of course I bought it, and let me show you, the honest and pure glow and bleed of my first display. No tricks, just my cellphone way of exagerate it:
Yeah, how could not I see it before... I guess I was just overexpecting it to be perfect, so I blinded myself and forced me to believe it.

Now, this is the second monitor, exactly the same circumstances and configuration:
As I said, I got lucky. It's not perfect, but it's defects are way more acceptable than the first one. And having everything from one display like cables and such perfectly ready to pack and send with one of the monitors? Gut Spiel!

Well, now, more info. About the weird text definition there was a cause: sharpness. LG display not only features one, but two controls of sharpness. One named likewise, and 'super resolution', which is more or less the same. So it is posible then to play with these values to make the text look much better (not perfect, this is still 1080 on a 35' 21/9 screen, but good enough).

Another awesome thing, hehe. I forgot to activate put the herz refresh beyond 59, so... yeah, the change was very very wellcome when, this very morning (lol) I felt it. Only grip I'd have, is the ghosting the text creates on scrolling. Like a white halo or blue, depending on the background. I tried to make a video but my skills are not enough to show it properly. The thing is it only happens when response time is activated, the faster, the worst it becomes. ULMB doesn't seem to affect it.

the rest of the things are pretty good. Maybe a little issue with some light going out through the corners, maybe due to bad assembling, or just bad quality, or because it is like that. Anyway those light leaks are small, only noticeable if you look right into them and not a deal breaker having in moind how good the panel looks (need some statement from you, though).

I dont know if there could be a problem returning the display if I claimed the free game that came with it, so I didn't and haven't done yet. Don't want to take the risk. There's indeed a small chance I'll change also this monitor, maybe because something awesome comes out or just because I'm not sure if I'm getting the best deal.

Speaking of it: how do you realize you picked your perfect monitor? How do you kill all those 'if's and 'maybes'? I mean, I really like this thing, but those Nvidia GSync posibilities some people claim on the web are still tormenting me. Am I missing something?

Hey man :) Well... :P a long story. But I also can see the difference on your two exemplars. So the second (new one) seems much better with these brightness settings. Well and I really know what you mean if you'r asking yourself of "is THIS really my monitor?".... So like mentioned, G-Sync and / or Freesync of course is beatiful, especially on approximately 100 hz / fps, BUT. A friend of mine told me he could turn on FreeSync on that LG model with a NVidia Graphics Card and I was really wondering. Did you tried this out? Text Ghosting on "bad" overdrive settings are usual, as same as on the Dell S2716DG for example, or on most other monitors when overdrive is set to "maximum / extreme". Go into the UFO-Test and change the overdrive settings to the limit where artifacts (blueish trails) does not occur anymore.

So which graphics card are you using? And It's also a good Idea dont set Anti Aliasing on more then 4x because this really steals a lot of fps, as same as some other settings. I just would try to get constantly +120 fps. Well in some games Feesync and G-Sync even gives improvements @ 120 hz. I just bought a RX 580 to test freesync monitors and the difference to 120 fps no freesync vs 120 fps with freesync in games like tomb raider / the long dark / witcher 3 was clearly visible. The strange thing is, on my Nvidia Graphics card I couldn't see that huge improvement. MAYBE this is because AMD cards in general runs worse without sync, compared to NVidia, but I'm not shure 100% and I really wanna to find this out, after I build my second PC. Ultrawide G-Sync Monitors are pretty high priced, so I'm not shure if it's worth to upgrade, especially with this resolution.

if you don't want to torment yourself maybe it's a good Idea to order the cheapest G-Sync monitor on the market to try out how much improvement an adaptive sync solution would give you and if it's worth for yourself? I mean, if it's possible for you right now. I really "wasn't" a fan of freesync / g-sync, but somehow on these full hd 144 hz freesync monitors, games like mentioned are getting a pretty good improvement. On overwatch or CS GO otherwise, the differnce is very very slightly. While CS GO and Overwatch don't has stutters, other games like the long dark etc are stuttering without syncing, so again (MAYBE) it's also because some games are better developed then others. And for this test I have to try out a LOT games on two PC's with my NVidia and AMD graphics card, which I will do, but this will cause a lot of time, unfortunately.

So in the end... I really know what you mean and I really can understand your thoughts because of G-Sync / Freesync. The only way probably to find out is to try out. Tearings where not that problem, it was more about stuttering which was eliminated @ my current rx580 freesync test system. Otherwise, with 16:9 IPS panels you will see the glow much better, while the glow is entering in your middle screen area, compared to ultrawide. Current TN G-Sync WQHD models in my opinion are not that good, cause of strange/dirty panel coatings and/or extreme color banding. I'm still "sticking" @ Full HD right now.... I hope I could help >.< If you have any further questions... just ask :P

Whoa, I did it, and things happened.

I had not ever tried it (read around somewhere that enabling freesync with nvidia card would make he display show up an 'out of range' black screen or something like that) but after you told me, had to check it out. The display went black for some seconds, just enough time to make me believe it wouldn't work, and then, it turned on with freesync on.

I was nervous, could it just be a gimmick? I went to the ufo test and it showed the display running just at 60hz. I had not changed that, so went again and set the refresh rate to 144hz. Then the ufo test would keep giving me a sync error. Maybe it wasn't so much only a gimmick after all? So i stepped the refresh down a notch, putting it at 120Hz. And then the UFO test synced fine and well. Freesync looked in the display as active and the refresh rate was 120Hz and with some good thing added: Now the text halo / glow when scrolling is basically gone, or at least much less noticeable, even in fastest response mode.

Gaming was basically the same, so it could be what you say about Nvidia and ATI rendering frames or else.

Any test I should make?

To test if freesync works you can download the g-sync pendulum demo and compare with activated / disabled freesync settings in the osd. But if you say it feels as same within games, maybe this still does not work and its a bug? Otherwise start a game, cap the FPS to 60 fps and then you should really see if freesync works. The difference on 60 fps within freesync on/off should be VERY noticeable

let me know.. this would interest me :P

i am too dumb or too lazy to locate lim's contact, so i will simply post a hello:

i live in Brazil and most of my online activity happens on HardOCP forum, a US based site. recently both prad.de and TFTcentral slowed down their content production, and new sites are taking their place: PCmonitors and Limscave.

Problem is there many Monitors exclusive to NA market and many that reach the USA weeks before Europe. So we that live at the other side of the pond are left waiting a lot to read an in-depth review of a given monitor. And monitor reviewers in europe miss the business opportunity of provinding content for the North america market.

In a recent Vega rx vs 1080ti blind test thread on Hardforum (https://hardforum.com/threads/blind-tes ... 1043130199), Kyle Bennet, HardOCP founder, gave a thumbs to my proposal of adding a Monitor reviewer to HARDOCP team.

so i am here suggesting you to contact kyle bennet and try to work out a business model partnership with HardOCP. as an avid monitor buyer, i look forward for the results of such partnership.

Hey dude, this is awesome. I know exactly what you mean, and by far this is not the only one present issue. There are a lots of monitor manufacturers in NA which arent sold in the EU (mostly cheaper alternatives to Asus/Acer/Dell...).
I will try to contact him and let you know what I found out. Thanks dude honestly, I really appreciate ! :)