Why measurement data for current GAMING monitors can never be 100% correct

A brief explanation of why measurement data on current gaming monitors are never 100% correct or are not valid for the entire panel. (Only for exceptions like OLED or very high-priced graphics monitors)

Modern hardware for calibrations often consist of a sensor placed in the center of the monitor. Already at this point the problem begins. Apart from the fact, that a monitor differs from model to model in the illumination, measurement data at different points or areas of the monitor produce different results. This is also the reason why different reviews on the Internet always have different measurement results and will continue to have them. With the ASUS PG278QR I had in the image center, for example, a brightening (clouding in the form of banding stiffness) and accordingly a weaker contrast. Also, different RGB color space adjustments would be made for this, as at an other point on the monitor, to obtain a value at the white point of, for example, 6500K (daylight).

To adjust a monitor perfectly there exist actually only one way:
1. Divide the monitor in "X" measuring points (for example 12) across the entire screen and determine an average for all measurements (contrast, color temperature etc). Here, however, you would have the problem that you should not go too close to the edges, as these with an edge-led variant lose much brightness.
2. There would have to be a measuring device which measures the screen area of the entire monitor (there is currently so not and would certainly very very very expensive).
The "one way". Very high-priced monitors (especially for graphic artists). These have been designed or optimized to other parameters, in contrast to gaming monitors. On a gaming monitor, for example, there is much more variation in brightness (no stable values). In the case of graphics monitors, for example, the brightness of the panel is permanently and repeatedly checked in a second by means of a sensor and readjusted. This is relatively expensive and costly, which is why the "standard monitors" usually do not have such a function.

What is the purpose of this thread?
- Measurements will always vary from review to review. As long as we do not have OLED monitors (or direct LED), deviations will always exist.
- I will always try to measure in the middle area of the monitor. If I have clouding at this area, I will move the measurement hardware in a few centimeters. and if clouding the measuring device may always be a few centimeters (because otherwise wrong values are obtained)
- You should not only pay attention to the measured data and in the doubt the reviewer of the monitor ask if there are strong deviations in the contrast. Example: Asus PG278QR has a better black level with the naked eye than the Dell S1627DG. In the measured values both monitors had the same black point (black level). Once again frustrating... But then I photographed the Asus PG278QR and spots the exact "clouding" areas which were not affected by Clouding near the center. Result: Measurement results give more meaning.

So... on which measurements should I pay more or less attention?
Measurements should generally serve as rough guidelines, here an overview of which measurements are more or less meaningful.#

Very meaningful:
Ufo test images: Note that the difference between 1 Ms and 4 Ms in test pictures is clearer compared to notice this in games
Subjective image impression in black
Coating (surface of the panel)
Viewing angles (with colors or bright picture contents as well as with dark picture contents)

Reference values:
Brightness ULMB: I have learned that the brightness can generally vary relatively strongly (up to 50 cd / m2) from monitor to monitor. Whether you have 400 or 450 cd / m2 with a monitor is relatively no matter, where it is noticeable with the brightness of the ULMB function (in the lower brightness range). The difference is then quite evident whether one comes to 110 cd / m2 or to 140 cd / m2 during the ULMB function. Unfortunately, unfortunately, unfortunately ...
Contrast: The contrast can always vary somewhat, since a small brightening (clouding spor) at the measuring point is sufficient to worsen the contrast by 100: 1. Therefore you should not only look at the measured values, but also look at the subjective image impression from the reviews.
Black point: The same from the contrast applies here for the black spot. At the black point, the viewing angle stability in the black area is also added + the surface coating or other technologies such as e.g. Quantum Dot. In Quantum Dot, for example, my experience has a slight shimmer in black at certain angles.
Delta E color deviations: The same problem here. Since measuring datas in Delta E deviation can be very small, the monitor can have quite different values at the center than at other areas of the panel.
Image homogeneity: (colors and brightness): Can vary from monitor to monitor

Less meaningful:
Clouding, Banding, Backlight Bleed, IPS Glow (?) - These can always vary from monitor to monitor (unfortunately). I emphasize this in all reviews and when I get a bad panel, it does not necessarily mean that you will be affected by it. In parallel, I will always read many reviews and reviews to get a rough feeling about how often problems arise with certain manufacturing models. Also it does NOT mean when I get a good panel that other people will also be lucky.
Default settings: These vary greatly from monitor to monitor. Also the color temperatures from the presettings can differ strongly.
Optimal monitor settings: Because each monitor has deviations, optimal monitor settings are total nonsense. If you want to adjust your monitor perfectly, then you need probably a measuring device. If you want to get the maximum out from your monitor you can spend some money in a colorimeter. There will surely be monitor models that will deviate more and less.

All other things like OSD menu, processing, etc. explain themselves in the statement and assessment of course.